What do they involve?
Los sondajes lagrimales son un procedimiento quirúrgico, habitualmente indicado en niños (entre 9 meses y un año) para tratar la obstrucción congénita de la vía lagrimal.
When is it carried out?
- In patients with tear duct obstruction
- A full ophthalmological examination and eyelid and periocular examination.
- The tear fluid meniscus is assessed, i.e. the quantity of tear fluid that accumulates in the lower eyelid margin. Thus, the specialist can assess whether or not the tear duct is obstructed.
- Expression of the lacrimal sac is also assessed to check for tear retention. If tears are retained in the lacrimal sac, this can lead to infections.
During the operation
This surgical procedure is performed on an outpatient basis and, when it involves children, is usually done under general anaesthetic.
In this procedure, a thin wire is guided through the tear duct. This allows the membranes blocking the tear duct to be opened up and the tears to drain properly.
After the operation
- The results are practically immediate, although the final results are only noticeable after a few weeks.
IMO Institute of Ocular Microsurgery
GPS navigator coordinates:
41º 24’ 38” N – 02º 07’ 29” E
Exit 7 of the Ronda de Dalt (mountain side). The clinic has a car park with more than 200 parking spaces.
Autobus H2: Rotonda de Bellesguard, parada 1540
Autobus 196: Josep Maria Lladó-Bellesguard, parada 3191
Autobuses H2, 123, 196: Ronda de Dalt – Bellesguard, parada 0071