What does it involve?
Gold and platinum weight implantation is a surgical procedure that consists of inserting a gold or platinum weight into the patient’s eyelid. It is inserted into the upper eyelid so that it closes correctly.
When is it carried out?
- In patients with facial paralysis.
- A full ophthalmological examination and eyelid and periocular examination.
- Photographs are taken to assess the patient’s condition before and after treatment.
- Before surgery, the oculoplastic surgery specialist uses several test weights to define the implant type to be used for the operation.
During the operation
- This treatment is performed in the operating theatre on an outpatient basis.
- The surgeon opens the patient’s eyelid and inserts the implant between the orbicularis muscle and the tarsus.
After the operation
- The surgeon occludes the patient’s eye for 24 hours (although this occlusion period may be extended for up to a week in some cases), and the patient must also take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Ice must be applied to the treated area during the first few weeks.
- It is also important that the patent rests for the first few days and avoids picking up heavy objects and taking exercise.
IMO Institute of Ocular Microsurgery
GPS navigator coordinates:
41º 24’ 38” N – 02º 07’ 29” E
Exit 7 of the Ronda de Dalt (mountain side). The clinic has a car park with more than 200 parking spaces.
Autobus H2: Rotonda de Bellesguard, parada 1540
Autobus 196: Josep Maria Lladó-Bellesguard, parada 3191
Autobuses H2, 123, 196: Ronda de Dalt – Bellesguard, parada 0071