What is it?
Eyelid reconstruction is a kind of surgery consisting of recovering the function and anatomy of the eyelids.
In which cases is it carried out?
- Eyelid tumours
- Anophthalmic cavity
- A full ophthalmological examination and eyelid and periocular examination
- Photos are taken to assess the patient’s condition before and after treatment
During the surgical operation
This treatment is carried out in the operating theatre of the out-patient’s unit. This surgical procedure can be carried out by means of various techniques, depending on each patient’s case. The most common are the following:
- Skin grafts
- Fat grafts
Depending on the surgical technique used, the surgeon extracts tissue from other parts of the patient’s body in order to later graft it.
After the operation
- The surgeon occludes the patient’s eye for 24 hours (however in some cases this occlusion may be extended to one week) and the patient must also take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Ice must be applied to the treated area during the first few weeks
- It is also important to have enough rest for the first few days and avoid picking up heavy objects and taking exercise